Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chapter 8: Teaching Teenagers Who Are Still Learning English

This chapter was enlightening because I just recently observed a class where one student was from Germany. The class was structured where one students read their writing and then was given feedback by the rest of the class and teacher. Each student received about 20 minutes of response. This particular student’s work was nothing special and upon first glance, I was almost embarrassed for the student who had to read it. When the teacher encouraged the student and mentioned that of course it’s going to be a little rough because she’s not a primary English speaker, I was surprised. I had never thought about English language learners in Farmington. It was enlightening. It’s something I will definitely be studying further and incorporating into my classroom. Just because they don’t speak English well, doesn’t mean they have a slower mental capacity to learn compared to native English speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment